Sunless Tanning

Monday, August 11, 2014

I am part Puerto Rican and part Scottish, so I naturally get very dark during the summer, but if I am not tanning then I have a very fair olive skin tone. In Seattle, it is overcast every day and I worked at a tanning salon. During that time I learned all about spray tans and how fast I could go from fair to golden. From then on, I started to try out sprays, lotions, and foams. Some I loved and some gave me allergic reactions. Sunless Tanning can be tricky, but once you find the right product you actually save money on spray tans and save your skin. Here are some popular tanning products I have tried and some tips on how to apply, maintain and choose the right product. Find out below my favorite Self Tanner.
Enjoy!


Sun Labs Lotion
Pros: Natural Color, easy application and no mess
Cons: Strong smell and does not last long
Application: I apply this using a tanning mit in circular motions. Let it sit for at least six hours, then wash off in the shower. I like this self tanner and will probably buy it again. I have almost used the whole bottle. It will turn your skin brown, not orange because it has a green under tone. If you can get past the smell and the fact that you will be applying this at least three times a week then I would recommend it.















Fake Bake Flawless Liquid
Pros: Natural Tan, dries quickly and non greasy formula
Cons: Messy, fades patchy and allergic reaction
Application: Spray Fake Bake onto tanning mit and apply quickly as this product dries fast. I love the color outcome and it lasts at least three days before it starts to fade away and become patchy. As much as I love the color, I break out in hives every time I use this, even though it says on the bottle "hypoallergenic." You never know how your skin will react. So, do an allergy test on a small part of your arm and see if it your skin reacts. Overall, good product, if you have sensitive skin I would not recommend Fake Bake.












Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs
Pros: Inexpensive, blurs imperfections and dries quickly
Cons:  None
Application: This is not a gradual self tanner it is more of a tanning body makeup. So, it will wash off in the shower. The great thing about this product is you can apply it everywhere, but you have to let it dry for at least fifteen minutes before putting on your outfit and going out. Make sure to get the waterproof one, because once it sets it will not budge until you take a shower. I mix this with a little lotion and apply it. This really does live up to it's name and I saw that Kim Kardashian uses it. So go pick some up for your self! 












St. Tropez Self Tan Dark Mousse
Pros: Easy to Apply and beautiful color
Cons: Pricey
Application: I apply this using gloves or my tanning mit. It blends in nicely and also has a green undertone to it. Once you rinse it off after at least six hours you are left with a beautiful bronzed glow. This is one of the best self tanners. If you are willing to dish out some money it is definitely worth it.
















From left to right: St. Tropez, Sally Hansen, Sun Labs, Fake Bake


Tip: If you get Self Tanner on your hands you can use toothpaste to get it off. I have also had success with nail polish remover, and lemon.

Tip: Exfoliate your skin before application, apply lotion to any rough patches such as knees and elbows. Use a Tanning Mit with gloves underneath to apply self tanner for even coverage. Maintain your tan by moisturizing every day.

The winner is St. Tropez!

Post a Comment